Thursday, December 31, 2009

Misadventures in 2009

I am too uncool to come up with my own way to reflect on 2009, so I'm going to copy my good friend Mark Remy at Runner's World (Oops, did I say good friend? He doesn't know me or my work, but I know his well!)

2009 was a big fat year of change for me and my family. And you can read all about it in the following recap, organized by month. Enjoy!

January
I kicked off the new year with two resolutions -- to run two marathons and journal once a week. Did I achieve them? Neither one. But I did run at least one full marathon in 2009. Although I didn't journal weekly, I took a writing class. I made apple crisp for the first time. My car, which I have since sold, continued to give me a financial headache in 2009 after an expensive 2008. And this recap wouldn't be complete without a mention of the creatures of the night.

February
I was a lame blogger and attempted to try a new recipe -- or at least write about one -- every Monday. I think I can count on one hand how many times I accomplished this.

March
Despite the cold and snow, training for the Fargo Marathon was in full swing. Taking a break from winter, Ben and I spent a week in Honduras. My car was still good company for bad luck. And I cooked but I warn you ahead of time that I did a shoddy job writing about it.

April
I was an awful blogger, so this month isn't worth recapping. I did cool things, though, like watch Twilight for the first time. And I ran a 20-mile race in St. Cloud in preparation for the Fargo Marathon. After the race, I drove to Rochester for a bachelorette party and discovered that I would make the most uncoordinated stripper. If only I had written about those things...

May
Again, why the heck didn't I blog? Oh yeah, I was busy running the Fargo Marathon in personal record time and working. Sorry.

June
I went public with the news that I would be moving to Evanston so Ben could attend business school at Northwestern University. I loved my job, my city, my friends and my family and didn't want to leave all behind. The only day I ever dreaded going into work was the day I had to tell my editor that I was moving.

July
My darling sister married her high school sweetheart on July 11. I enjoyed some small-town running while spending time with my mom after I left my job and before I went to Italy to finally practice my much-forgotten Italian.

August
We abandoned our Minneapolis digs, and we moved to Evanston.

September
I complained about or mentioned being unemployed here, here and here. I embraced being frugal and writing about it. Having a sick dog really really sucked. And of course, I did a little cooking. Yay for sweet corn!

October
I ran a lot and even got pooped on during one outing. It did not bring me good luck, at least in terms of employment. Indie got to drink hydrogen peroxide for the first and, I hope, last time. I made for the first time what has become my signature dessert. And I experimented...

November
If you are ever interested in a middle-distance race, you should do the Hot Chocolate 15k. I did, and I loved it. I made the most amazing pork chops (If you haven't tried this recipe, I urge you to do so in 2010. Make it a resolution!). I turned 26!!! and failed to write about it with any depth.

December
The bulk of my posts were about baking, and my waist shows it. I have since stocked my fridge with the green stuff. My creative non-fiction writing class ended. And despite those additional inches of fat around my waist, I was still a beef magnet.

My dear friends and family, Happy New Year! May 2010 be a good one...for all of us.

1 comment:

Abby B said...

Boo August. Yay February '10!