Having gone from two incomes to zero in my household, I'm honing my cheapskate skills when it's practical. And I thought I'd share a few spending tips I've been practicing:
Tip #1: Drink at home
Where I used to go to a coffee shop at least four times a week, I now brew Dunkin' Donuts at home. And, I would argue, I've mastered making coffee at home and it tastes better than a cup of Starbucks. If I'm inclined to stop at my neighborhood coffee shop, I question whether I really need that grande coffee with a steamed skim topper.
Tip #2: If you can, buy second-hand
When it comes to clothes, I've never been able to stomach spending a lot of money. So being frugal in the dressing room comes naturally. One might argue that I shouldn't step foot inside a clothing store until I land a job. But last week, I really wanted to look cute and impress at a Kellogg event for students and spouses. I was able to pull together an outfit for a night on the town (actually, it was a dance club boat) for $20. How was I able to do it? I went to a recycled -- or second-hand -- clothing store near campus. There, you can find Coach shoes, designer jeans and beautiful dresses on average for $10. (Thank God for students with deep pockets!) I bought a pair of skinny jeans and a cute top to match for a total of $23 with tax (see photo above).
1 comment:
I heart Dunkin' Donuts too. I cannot wait until they have a presence again in MN.
Post a Comment