Monday, September 14, 2009

Dial 911!

I am ready to file a police report. But I know I won't. Instead, I will vent to you, dear reader.

Alley parking is not allowed in Evanston, yet my neighbor living opposite my garage thinks he/she can park there.

Because my garage is narrower than a car wash and it's located at the bottom of a dip, it takes skill to park. Skill I do not have. I seriously hope I never have to take my driver's test again for fear I would fail miserably because of my poor parking ability.

The parking situation is made worse by my neighbor, whose car obstructs proper backing up so I can straighten out my car. Did I mention my car is actually Ben's 2003 Jeep? Yeah, my father-in-law sold my little two-door car of eight years this week. And I'm so, so, so happy to be rid of it. But I'd take it back if it meant easy parking.

Back to the situation at hand...

I have driven only twice in Evanston -- in our month here -- because of this inconsiderate neighbor. The first time was because Indie was sick, and I had no choice but to drive him to the vent. Thankfully, my neighbor's car was gone and even though I was sweating over having to park inside the garage, I did it. And might I add that Ben was impressed with the job I did.

I drove again this weekend. And the Jeep has been parked on the street ever since. Why? Because of the neighbor and his/her car. I thought this neighbor might have a job and his/her car would be gone today. But, no. Either he/she takes mass transit, is sick or is unemployed like me. And so his/her car sits.

Darn you, neighbor. Darn you (fist in air!).

I attempted parking the Jeep in the garage twice this afternoon, but I was unsuccessful. So I parked over a block away since weird parking rules kick in tomorrow and no cars are allowed on the even side of the street.

1 comment:

Abby Martinek said...

Can you leave a note on their windshield kindly explaining your situation and asking them to please be considerate of your awkward driveway?

I swear that once people get behind the wheel they completely disregard any and all living creatures. It's the strangest thing. I keep thinking, "If I were walking on the sidewalk would I act like that? No, no I would not". Although, I'm equally frustrated by people + shopping carts + grocery store aisles. Same situation.