Friday, September 18, 2009

5 a.m. wake-up call

At my now-retired blog, Brady Goes to Washington, I often complained about baby cockroaches in my kitchen. Gosh, I shudder even now thinking about it.

Now, I'm not battling cockroaches; I'm putting up with screaming toddlers late at night and in the wee morning hours.

We live on the third -- and top -- floor of our u-shaped brownstone walk-up building. A family of four live in the same apartment on the first floor. For weeks, the weather has been cool enough that you can keep your windows all day. It's nice to have a breeze through our place, but we also get the sounds that come through it.

Usually it's quiet. And it would stay that way if it weren't for that family of four on floor one. There are two girls, both under two I believe, and I heard from their mother that one doesn't sleep during the day and the other doesn't sleep at night. Maybe it's their sleeping patterns -- I don't know -- but they've been crabby lately. Really crabby. So crabby that they can wail for up to an hour straight (no, I'm not exaggerating...just ask my neighbors). And they tend to do this at a not so ideal time. Earlier this week, they screamed for an hour around 10 p.m. (again not exaggerating...I saw my neighbors looking out their windows to see what all the fuss was about). Today, they tested out their lungs at 5 a.m. 5 a.m.!!!!!

I think it's time for the family to close their windows -- at least when their little girls are crying. I don't have children, but I can imagine how difficult it is to raise two toddlers. Still, I don't think we need a 5 a.m. wake-up call to hear just how hard it is.

No comments: