Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Art of Being Frugal: Tip #4


I went to a ball this weekend. I'm not sure if I was the bell, but I sure felt like one.

Here's why: I got all prettied up at the local cosmetology school.

And the cost?

Drumroll please....

Hair and make-up for $32.

I felt like an Emmy Award winner, and I paid only $32. Of course, going to a cosmetology school requires patience and sometimes a healthy dose of honesty (I didn't like how my hair was initially styled, and I said so. It meant sitting in the chair for an hour and a half, so the student could try a new style.).

My frugal ways didn't end at the salon.

I wore a strapless, knee-length Calvin Klein black dress (that I got at a major, major discount in June) with black peep-toe shoes and carried a shiny black clutch. In all, the ensemble cost $45. Not bad. Especially since I can wear the dress many, many more times. I've had the shoes for almost two years already. And I expect to get significant mileage out of the clutch.

So my frugal tip of the day/week is to give your local cosmetology school a try. If you're wary of getting anything major done, schools usually offer an array of services at a discount -- from manicures to massages to facials.

1 comment:

Voix said...

Awesome tips! Thanks for adding me to your blogroll. Pleased ta meetcha!