For the first time in my adult life, I have a library card.
It's not that I didn't enjoy reading. I looove to read -- but I almost always paid for the books that occupied my night stand.
Those days are over. Now that I'm extra frugal, I am taking advantage of the Evanston Public Library. And almost as much as I love to read, I love checking out books for free.
Last week, I checked out Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell, which basically taught me that to be really good at something I must do it for 10,000 hours. Curious by this, I checked my running log to see how many hours I had run since I started keeping track of my miles. I'm nowhere close to 10,000 hours. In fact, I don't know if I ever could -- without being a high-paid elite -- run for 10,000 hours. I would post the actual number of hours I've run, but the Web site where I log my runs is malfunctioning. Another post, I guess.
Today, I picked up Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott, a book on writing, and Frida by Barbara Mujica.
By checking out these books alone, I've saved approximately $60. That's a trip to the grocery store, a date night, an electric bill, or a few outfits from the recycled clothing store.
No comments:
Post a Comment