Monday, February 23, 2009

New Recipe Monday

I haven't written in a long time. I've been busy at work and busy training for the marathon, which is just over two months away. We've also been out of town. Two weeks ago we were visiting Northwestern University for admit weekend. Last weekend we were in New Ulm to see my sister's new pad.

And life is about to get busier. We're going to Chicago in two weeks for admit weekend at the University of Chicago. Then we're off to Honduras for a much-needed, seven-day vacay.

So I should have plenty to write about in the next few weeks if I find the time.

This week, I start working the Tuesday-Saturday schedule. It kind of blows having only one weekend day to hang out with Ben. But it's temporary -- I should be done in early May -- and we'll adjust. I'm taking the opportunity to cook on Mondays. So I'm going to try something new -- every Monday that I'm home I'll cook something different and post the recipe here.

Tonight, we're starting with heart-healthy chicken. The recipe comes from a colleague. A few women at work have already made it and have raved about it. It's simple to make (I'm in the middle of cooking it as I write this). I'll let you know in the next day or two if the recipe is worthy of the high marks my colleagues have given it. Stay tuned.

Heart Healthy Chicken Recipe


4 boneless skinless chicken breasts


Seasoning for the chicken:

1/2 tsp chili powder

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp cumin

1/4 tsp salt

1/3 tsp pepper


Mix seasoning and coat the chicken. Fry chicken in olive oil. When chicken is fully cooked add:


1-14 oz can black beans

1 cup frozen corn

1/2 cup salsa

2-T fresh cilantro

1-14 oz can chopped tomatoes


Heat thoroughly and serve.




No comments: