Friday, December 4, 2009

Caramels, part II

A few warnings on caramel-making:

1. Give caramels to friends and family as quickly as possible. Otherwise, you may find yourself walking to the fridge a few times in the morning, afternoon and evening to eat a handful. This could be hazardous to your waistline come your holiday party.

2. Once you store the caramels in a cool place, keep them there. They get ultra gooey and sticky and become difficult to unwrap in room temperature.

3. These buggers can sometimes be difficult to unwrap no matter the temperature. I blame this on my poor wrapping skills (I used wax paper). If you've made caramels before and are an expert wrapper (Anna, not rapper), please leave a note with your advice in the comments section.

7 comments:

Abby B said...

Okay, I could be totally making this up (not unusual for my brain) but don't you usually sprinkle or rub in a titch of flour on the side that you wrap the caramel in? Again, I probably dreamed that up.

Abby B said...

Ok, try parchment paper. That's all I could find on Google.

Anna W. said...

Ahhahahaha! I should hope my wrapping skills are better than my rapping skillz, but I'm guessing they both leave something to be desired...

Emma said...

I posted the Q on Serious Eats... we'll see what the results say.

We're forecast to have crappy weather tomorrow, and you could NOT pay me enough to go driving on the glorious streets of the District on the year's first snow, so hopefully this will be my project!

Emma said...

oh, also... I do not have a candy thermometer. Any more advice on what "firm ball stage" means?

thx!! :-)

Brady said...

Anna -- I was trying to be funny:)I hope you got a chuckle!

Abby -- I will try parchment paper next time. Thank you!

Emma -- See e-mail. Just splurge on a candy thermometer. Target has one for under $10. I lack knowledge when it comes to baking and have not a clue about the firm ball stage.

Abby B said...

I made them! They.Are.Delicious. I forgot to add the second stick of butter and they still turned out great - I take this to mean that I took the fat down by half and you would never know by tasting it!! Well, at least to my knowledge.

I bought a candy thermometer at Cub for $3.50 or so - it works great!