It started during my trip to the grocery store to pick up my list of baking ingredients. I couldn't find molasses in the baking aisle. It was out of stock there, but there were small jars of molasses in the kosher section. I brought the molasses home, excited to make my first ever ginger snaps, only to consult my recipe and learn that I needed a cup. The jar contains only seven tablespoons. It takes 16 tablespoons to equal one cup (I didn't know this offhand; I had to look it up.).
I decided the ginger snaps could wait until tomorrow and that I would embark on the project of making sugar cookie cutouts with frosting, as well as almond bark dipped pretzels. The cutouts were easy enough, and the dough is resting in the fridge for a few hours. The process of melting the bark and dipping the pretzels went well, too. Until it didn't.

I thought red sprinkles added nice holidazzle. But I wanted to be bold. So with my recently purchased food coloring, I added a few drops of green dye to the almond bark. Umm, yeah, if you want to trash your almond bark, this is the way to do it. The dye thickened the bark so that it would no longer coat the pretzels. (As I type this, Ben is digging into my already small supply of dipped pretzels. I didn't think he liked vanilla almond bark.)

I'm headed to a different grocery store for more vanilla and chocolate almond bark. And a big-butt jar of molasses. Plus ingredients for Ben's fancy toffee. And maybe some sanity. I wonder what aisle it's in.
2 comments:
You should make these! Mmmmm.
http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/12/vanilla-roasted-pears/
Post a Comment