Wednesday, December 9, 2009

I wear a size 8. Unless it's a running shoe. Then I wear a size 9. Sometimes I'm an 8 1/2.

After six weeks of bliss -- surrounding myself with a dozen women who are smart and full of interesting life experiences and who have a passion to write and learn about the craft; learning from an instructor who is quick with an inspiring quote, literary reference or insightful comment and who, I believe, could have a career as a therapist; and writing my first personal essay in years -- my writing seminar is over.

It's hard to write about writing, and equally difficult, in my experience, to write about a writing class.

I won't write a long, winding post about the seminar. Instead, I will leave you with a few quotes from class that make me want to be better.

Topics are everywhere. They're like shoes; you just have to see what fits. -- Classmate

Listen with the ear of the heart. --
St. Benedict

If I can't find some kind of take-home message in my experience, I set (the essay) aside until I do. -- Katheryn Lay

Everyone has experiences; we as writers must make something of them, in both language and idea. -- Stephen Corey

I am a writer by determination rather than natural talent. -- Ernest Hemingway

Amen.

1 comment:

GirlNumberFour said...

I will really miss that class!! Great post about it!