
I reached 1,000 miles run in 2009 during my 6:30 a.m. outing with my good pal Kara today.
The time I spent on the road during this past year adds up to more than six days of running. I think this speaks to the dedication to and love I have for it.
Yet I don't feel a huge sense of accomplishment. Maybe I should have stepped up my game and tried for 1,500 miles in 2009. This year, I repeated 2008's 1,000-mile achievement.
I must remind myself of other running accomplishments from this year.
--I PR'd (personal record) at the Fargo Marathon, finishing in 4 hours, 12 minutes -- an improvement over my 4 hour, 20 minute finish at the Twin Cities Marathon in October 2008. Remember, kiddos, that was the year runners were soaked for half Twin Cities Marathon. I got so cold from the pouring rain that I needed someone to tie my shoes, because my fingers wouldn't work.
--I ran my first ever 15k, and I finished with my running buddy Naomi and Ben. I was incredibly happy with average 9:06-minute mile pace I kept up throughout the race. It gives me hope that I can knock a few minutes off my half-marathon time.
2010 will bring more races. I have already signed up for the North Shore Half Marathon, which falls on June 13. Barring any injury (knock on wood, I haven't had a serious injury that kept me from running for more than four days), I plan to the run the Bank of America Chicago Marathon. And I look forward to running it with some of the buddies I've made in Evanston. To my running friends and relatives back in Minnesota, you are welcome to visit and run these races or cheer me on. Cheerleaders are good:)
I hope the new year will also bring more quality miles, and that I will place more value on the quality of my runs than the number of miles I record in my Runner's World log. What matters is that I keep on running. Because I can.
No comments:
Post a Comment