Monday, December 14, 2009

Beef magnet.

I love to run, as you've probably deduced from reading this blog. I run outdoors throughout the year as long as the wind chill doesn't dip below zero. In the winter, though, I'm in the gym more than I'm outside.

I like the gym. Being around people who care about fitness motivates me. And I always feel a sense of pride stepping out of the gym. It's like, "Look at me. I work out. I am cool. Praise me."

Put me on the treadmill, and I'm comfortable. I belong there because I'm a runner -- for only three miles, maybe four if I'm feeling good, because I think the treadmill is the belt of hell. It's a necessity in the winter and so I withstand those three or four miles knowing I could run farther and longer outside but it's dark and cold and unsafe so the treadmill will just have to do.

Lead me to a weight room, and I am intimidated. I look around to make sure know one is watching me. Usually if there are too many men around, I don't even bother. When I'm brave, I work my biceps and triceps as quickly as possible and then go to my safe place -- a mat for crunches or to the locker room.

I have been brave three times in the last week. I've worked my Olive Oyl arms and haven't given a flip about the bodybuilders grunting next to me. They apparently care about me. I've been approached three times in the last week by two beefy male strangers and one not-so-beefy stranger.

Beefy man #1 teased me about wearing a tank and showing off my arms while doing bicep curls with 10-pound weights. I'm typically slow with comebacks and had no response. My sister told me I should have asked him if he needed a spotter. Next time, sister. Next time.

Beefy man #2 told me that I should try lifting heavier weights. He told me to try the 15-pounders and to take it slowly. So I tried the 15-pounders -- a first for me -- and quite enjoyed the slow burn. I thanked that man.

Today, not-so-beefy stranger #3 approached me mid-lift. He asked me what I was doing. What I wanted to say: "What does it look like macho man?" What I actually said: "Uh, I don't know." He asked me how I learned to lift and what my routine included. I told him that I didn't do much. In my defense, I added that I was a runner and not just any kind of runner, but a marathoner. I also told him that I didn't know my way around the gym yet because I hadn't been treated to my complimentary fitness assessment.

Well, today was my lucky day. Turns out not-so-beefy stranger #3 is a personal trainer employed by the gym. He recently started working there, and he is happy to give me a fitness assessment. So tomorrow at 11 a.m., I will meet with the newbie personal trainer to go over my goals and learn a few "routines."

This, I hope, will put an end to the unsolicited "help" from the many men at the gym.

2 comments:

Abby B said...

Ah yes, "Man Land" - as my personal trainer calls it. Yes, I too was quite intimidated by the beefy men that sauntered around there as though they owned the place. Now I'm not afraid to walk up to them and ask if they are finished using their bench/weights.

My personal trainer helped a lot. She made me do a workout routine in "Man Land" for three whole months... nothing but Man Land workout territory.

I also never realized how many women lift weights in there! It made me much more confident when I even saw teenage girls, by themselves nonetheless, bench pressing to their little heart's content!

I was happy to learn how to use all of the weights and free weight machines properly. I believe that lifting has shaved minutes off of my 5K's. Seriously. And I'm not even competitive when it comes to running!

newRDcook said...

I can definitely relate to this post, Brady. First, I hate the treadmill and I only last 2-3 miles at most when I can actually motivate myself enough to get on one! I definitely prefer to run outdoors, too, but the winter weather provides challenges with my mild asthma. Since I still love a good workout, I find myself hitting the weights more in the winter. I try to go first thing in the morning, where the gym-goers (and male lurkers) are somewhat sparse. I like to get in and get out, without any conversation. I'll even do workout videos at home in the winter (Jillian Michaels can really kick your butt!). I think running and weights is a great combination to get in the best shape possible, so definitely try to keep it up if you can! Good luck!