Friday, December 18, 2009

The personal fitness assessment, part II.

I'm not very good at kicking my own ass.

Today, I returned to the gym for the first time since the personal assessment. I gave myself a day off on Wednesday because I felt like a 90-year-old and thought my body needed -- and deserved -- a break. I ventured out yesterday morning for a short run, even though my quads were still tight.

I set up my personal circuit at the gym without the guidance of the personal trainer. I did squats, push-ups and crunches. I exercised my triceps, but skipped out on the biceps. Oops. I warmed up prior to conditioning, on top of the three miles I ran on the treadmill. I'm confident I followed the resistance training just as I was taught on Tuesday, with the exception that I didn't push myself so hard that I wanted to throw up. I settled for some sweating.

Although I'm no match for my trainer, and I didn't kick my own ass, I did come home with a sore hip. It has ached all afternoon.

My left hip first started hurting around Thanksgiving. The cause, I think, was not exercising but being behind the wheel for hours. We drove to Lincoln, Neb., for Thanksgiving, and I spent a majority of the time behind the wheel on our 8-hour drive to and from Nebraska. I think my lax posture did me in, finally.

The pain was hibernating. Until today. Seriously, as I type this while sitting on my couch, my hip is doing more than aching. It's throbbing.

No comments: