I'm a pretty big deal in the kitchen.
Yesterday, I made potato soup and, with Britt's help, apple crisp. Both turned out well. Actually, they turned out better than well. Both dishes were awesome. Or, dare I say, kick-ass.
Considering I have more misses than hits when I try new recipes, successfully making two dishes in the same day was like winning the lottery. The chances of doing either are very low.
First, I made a new potato soup recipe from the Cooking Light slow-cooker recipe book. If you like healthy foods that are easy to make, you should try this Cooking Light book. It's out-of-stock on Amazon.com, but I recommend buying it as soon as it becomes available. Or you can order now, and it will be shipped once more books are in stock. (I really should get paid for this advertisement.)
The soup included four cups of potatoes; one cup of onions, celery and carrots; and three garlic cloves. For liquid, I used vegetable broth. I threw in a few dashes of pepper and salt. A few tablespoons of butter. After simmering in the slow cooker for about six hours, I added a flour-milk mix to thicken the soup. Twenty-five minutes later, we had a hearty bowl of potato soup -- perfect on a cold winter night. We added shredded sharp cheddar cheese to give it an extra kick. When I make it again, I'll double the recipe. There wasn't much left over.
Britt came over and we made a not-so-healthy version of apple crisp. We topped it off with vanilla bean ice cream. We both ate a heaping bowl of the stuff, and went for a second helping of ice cream.
I know you want to come over and try all of this good food, but it's almost gone. Next time, my friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment