Thursday, August 30, 2007

Giving Ben props

My two biggest challenges in the kitchen?

1. Grilling meat
2. Cutting (anything)

So when Ben wants meat with his dinner, I'm usually perplexed. I have no problem frying hamburger for spaghetti. But if he wants a steak or bbq chicken, he's on his own. When he asks where the meat is, I usually respond with "You know I can't use the grill," or "You have to teach me how to use the grill," or "There's a leftover pork chop in the fridge from the weekend."

And it's Minnesota, so there will be no using the George Foreman until 10 degrees below zero. I can use that. It's the gas grill on our deck that puzzles me.

I have to give props to Ben when meat -- any meat -- is part of our dinner. It's usually because he cooked or grilled it. The other week, he grilled cheese burgers. Now, they weren't your typical cheese burger. They were moist and juicy and tasty, oh my. What made this ordinary dinner extraordinary? He shaped the meat around the cheese. When I sunk my teeth into the sizzling beef, the hot cheese oooooozed out. Hmm hmm good.

I hope he gets home soon. I'm hungry for a cheese burger.

No comments: