For 24 hours, I've been trying to get wireless Internet up and running at home. And for 24 hours, I've gone without it.
Challenge #1: Do-it yourself fast-speed Internet installation
I was on the phone at 11 p.m. yesterday with Comcast support trying to figure out why, after following the limited directions provided, that I couldn't connect with the Internet. The technician did everything he could from his side and then gave me his best advice: disconnect the modem for 15 to 20 minutes and then hook it up again.
Nothing.
I called Comcast again this morning after disconnecting and reconnecting the modem. From Comcast's side of things, the modem was hooked up and good to go. After being put on hold, I reminisced about having RCN in Washington. I didn't have to worry about hooking up my own Internet and cable. It was done for me. I often had to disconnect my computer from the modem when I traveled to New York City. Thinking about this, I remembered that a USB cord was not the lifeline between my computer and the modem. It was an Ethernet cord.
Problem solved.
Challenge #2: Installing a router for wireless Internet
I don't know where to begin here. An "error" message pops up during the third step. And the way to solve this or attempt to solve this, unfortunately, is not clear in the directions.
So I've given up for a few hours or until Ben gets home.
This whole do-it-yourself mentality gets old after a day.
1 comment:
My advice for such situations is to call and complain that it is somehow your providers fault and threaten to drop service (say... maybe go to dish service?). They'll come out and do it for free and you may get a lower price on your overall monthly bills!
Sneaky? Yes... but they're probably taking more of your money than they need to somewhere (or in multiple areas), so I figure they can afford it more than I can! Plus you free up about half your day!
I usually feel guilty for all of five minutes.
Post a Comment