Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Rosemary potatoes = mmm mmm good

Thanks to my cousin Abby, tonight's side dish was D-E-L-I-S-H. I made the rosemary potatoes. And the fresh rosemary came straight from my plant. I was oh so proud as I pulled off the leaves for the feast.

In case you didn't see the recipe in the comments section, here it is again:

6 red potatoes quartered
Olive oil
Rosemary (fresh or dried)
Garlic Salt & Pepper

Heat oven to 400 degrees
Place potatoes in a cake pan
Coat with olive oil
Sprinkle with Rosemary
Sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper
Bake until tender

Tonight's dinner was not one big success, however.

I found a recipe on the Food Network. It seemed easy enough to make and the ingredients weren't hard to come by. But I didn't want to travel to Cub Foods, so I decided on some substitutions.

I threw in Parmesan for ricotta cheese. I settled on wheat spaghetti instead of linguine. I had to use Roma tomatoes instead of cherry ones. I used my old standby of minced garlic. Oh, I didn't have lemons, so I went without the lemon juice.

Ben thanked me for dinner and doing the dishes, but there were no rave reviews. Here's the recipe. It may be worth another try...with the right ingredients.




Whole-Wheat Linguine with Green Beans, Ricotta and Lemon
Source: Food Network

1 pound whole-wheat linguine
1/2 cup part-skim ricotta
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 pound French green beans, trimmed and halved lengthwise
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
1 lemon, zested
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain pasta reserving 1 cup of the cooking water. Transfer the hot pasta to a large bowl and add the ricotta cheese. Toss to combine.

Meanwhile, in a large, heavy skillet, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the green beans, garlic, salt, and pepper and saute for 4 minutes. Add 1 cup of the pasta cooking liquid and continue cooking until tender, about 4 more minutes. Add the pasta with ricotta to the pan with the green beans and toss to combine. Add the tomatoes and gently toss. Transfer to a serving plate and top with lemon zest.

1 comment:

Abby Martinek said...

Another delicious potato side dish I learned from some friends is much more fattening... so, in other words, delicious!

You can use this either on the grill or in the oven.

Baking potatoes washed and sliced thin
Olive Oil
Butter
Garlic Salt
Pepper
(I am not really good with deciding how much of any ingredient I place in these concoctions and therefore usually just dash it all in... sorry for those who need to follow ingredients exactly)

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.

In a cake pan (choose a size based on how many potatoes you are using), place the sliced potatoes and coat evenly with a mixture of half olive oil and half melted butter.

Sprinkle on garlic salt and pepper to taste.

Bake for 30-40 minutes or until tender.

For two people I usually use about 2-3 medium sized potatoes.

The thinner you slice them, the faster they cook (in case you are in more of a hurry!)

Just don't count your saturated fats after this side dish, but it compliments burgers on the grill excellently!