I went on a shopping spree today. An attempt at soothing my unemployed woes. Perhaps.
It wasn't that kind of adventure. I shopped for purely culinary reasons and didn't max out my credit card. I bought a rosemary plant and a plant that doesn't need attention for Ben's new office.
The rosemary plant is fragrant, and the sales person did a super job of finding the perfect pot and filling it with soil and decorative rocks (for free!). I figure I should probably get basil and bay leaf plants, too. They'll save me future trips to the grocery store. But let's take it just one plant at a time. I need to make sure this one survives beyond a few weeks.
1 comment:
For a Valentine's Day present, I bought Joe a set of three planting pots and some seeds... sweet basil, parsley, and cilantro.
We planted them and they grew up beautifully... but I found that with the cilantro it must be clipped before it grows too tall or it will become slightly bitter.
I think the basil had too many seeds in a small area and the leaves never really got entirely large.
The parsley looked great, but I kept forgetting to use it!
In the end, the heat overtook my little gifts and we didn't get too much of a chance to use them.
My thoughts for next year came from Martha Stewart some years back. She said that the best way to keep spices without drying them or losing them to freezer burn is take an ice cube tray, fill it with water, and place some of the chopped spices in each area. When they freeze they do not dry out and when you need them you just let them melt in a cup in the fridge or the counter.
I also think that I will have to get larger pots and not use so many seeds!
Post a Comment