Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The sweet taste of victory

I need a high five or a pat on the back.

Last night, I made curried chicken salad. It was delish and healthier than that Martha's Vineyard salad you can get at Arby's. My cousin ate two helpings, and Ben wanted me to whip him up a curried chicken salad sandwich for lunch today.

I was beyond nervous as I prepared the salad. I had spent an hour on it and 30 minutes cleaning up and doing dishes. So if they hadn't liked it, I would have been peeved.

But they did like it. And so did I. I'm a chicken salad freak, so any twist on it sounds good to me.

The recipe came from my friend Nina, who has entertained many a guest. Here it is followed by some warnings to those culinary rookies like me:

Curried Chicken Salad

From the kitchen of: Nina
Makes: about 4 cups
Prep time: 15 min.
Total time: 1 hr (includes 30 min. chilling time)

1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and pep
2 tbs veg oil
1/2 c. sliced almonds
1/2 c. mayo
2 tbs fresh lemon juice
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp curry powder
2 ribs celery, chopped fine
1 c. seedless red or green grapes, halved
4 scallions, sliced thin
2 tbs minced fresh parsley

1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a 12-inch
skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Carefully add the chicken
and cook until lightly golden brown on the first side, about 5 min.
Flip the chicken over, cover, and continue to cook until it is no
longer pink in the center, about 5 min. longer.Transfer the chicken to
a plate and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 min.
2. Meanwhile, toast the almonds in a skillet over medium heat until
golden and fragrant, about 4 min; set aside. Mix together the mayo,
lemon juice, mustard, curry powder, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper
and refrigerate until needed.
3. Cut the chilled chicken into 1/4-inch pieces and toss with the may
mixture, toasted almonds and the remaining ingredients. Season with
salt and pepper to taste.

--Be CAREFUL when cooking the chicken in vegetable oil. I got splattered on, and it hurt. I forgot that we have a screen to prevent this from happening, but I was clueless as to what to do when placing the chicken in the skillet.
--Don't take your eyes of the almonds as you toast them. They can burn fast. I had extra almonds as back-up.
--Really, how do you mince parsley? I found this challenging. Any advice is appreciated.

But first, here's my advice to you: Make curried chicken salad for your family, significant other or just yourself tonight. And then thank Nina!

1 comment:

Abby Martinek said...

Mincing is easy if you have a really nice sharp knife and a little time or you can get a $20 electric food chopper/processor that will do it for you.
The trick with electric is not too much and not too little at a time.
Too little and the blades will just push it around and not chop it.
Too much and only the bottom will get chopped.
My suggestion... Do about a half cup at a time. Don't add on to the already chopped/minced because you will create slime on the bottom and unchopped leaves on the top!