Sunday, August 5, 2007

Martha, you are my inspiration

Don't be fooled by the name of the blog. I will share musings beyond the kitchen during my quest to become the next Martha Stewart.

I'm kidding. Who wants to be Martha? She's almost perfect -- that brief stint in prison earns her the qualifier of "almost" -- and being perfect is boring. Besides, her empire includes K-Mart. I'm more of a Target kind of gal.

Seriously, though, I have spent plenty of time in the kitchen during the last few weeks. I made beef swirlwiches, about which Ben boasted to everyone. "Brady made the most amazing dinner," he told his friends and family. I think it was his way of encouraging me to not resort to my cereal-only-eating ways.

If you had asked me three months ago what my diet consisted of, you would have gotten a very short answer: yogurt, apples, English muffins, cereal and anything Lean Cuisine. Being unemployed has its benefits. I have time to cook and clean and make lists and look up recipes.

I don't intend on being a bum for long. But I hope that this whole kitchen experiment keeps going when I have a job. What's wrong with wanting to be a domestic diva? I can work and be serious and be Martha. Along the way, I'm sure, there will be plenty of mishaps. And I'm happy to share them here. So that's what I'll do.

Enjoy.

No comments: