My bad.
And she has pointed out that it can be found in the produce section (Nugget, I looked next to the parsley, believe me). She has also suggested that one, who may someday be in need of fresh basil, should consider keeping a plant at home, where it's fresh for the picking.
I still made the bruschetta with dry basil, and it tasted like bruschetta. The recipe, as you will see below, is simple. And the result is a simple taste. That said, it was good, and I plan on making another batch tomorrow when I entertain my sister and cousin. I will also be making a new recipe. Although it screams made-in-Minnesota, it's a clever, yet simple, twist on the baked potato.
Without further ado, here's the recipe. It comes from www.epicurean.com. (Fellow bloggers, if you can help me, I'm having a challenging time including links to sites outside blogger.com. I never had this problem with my old blog.)
Ingredients:
5-6 Ripe Roma TomatoesOlive Oil
Balsamic Vinegar
Fresh Basil *
French or Sourdough Baguette
Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
Directions:
Dice tomatoes. In bowl add equal parts oil/vinegar, approximately 2-3 tablespoons each. Add chopped basil and tomatoes and let sit. Cut bread into 1/4 inch thick slices, lightly butter and top with a sprinkle of Parmesan. Put bread under broiler at lower setting until golden brown and crunchy. Serve with tomato mixture spooned on top or let people do it themselves.*Dry basil works, too. Just sprinkle over tomato/oil/vinegar mixture.
Also, see comments section for what looks to be a delish recipe from Nugget.
1 comment:
I love bruschetta and, while studying abroad in Rome a few summers ago, have learned how to make traditional bruschetta (as I was told, the same way they make it in every little family owned restaurant you will find!).
I thought maybe I would share!
1 baguette or italian loaf (cut into 1/2" slices)
1 or 2 cloves of fresh garlic
1 can diced red tomatoes (or you can cut your own grape or cherry tomatoes depending on how fresh you would like this)
Olive Oil
Fresh Basil (chopped)
Salt & Pepper
Here is how I learned to make this authentic and easy antipasto:
In a small bowl, place the diced tomatoes (drained) with fresh basil and salt and pepper. Stir and set aside.
Preheat the oven on high broil. Place the 1/2" slices of bread directly on the oven rack (rack should be placed as high as possible in the oven while still allowing you to grab the bread without burning yourself!) Toast the bread, but be careful because it may take only a few seconds for it to burn! You may toast one or both sides as desired.
Once the bread is done toasting take a garlic clove (peeled) and rub it across the top side of the bread (this is the key to making it amazing!). Place a few tablespoons of the tomato mixture onto the bread and splash with olive oil. Serve immediately!
This is the original recipe from which all variations are derived. I have also experimented with pesto, chicken, and cheese (its amazing as well!)
I thought it might be something fun to share!
Post a Comment