Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Stumped by fresh basil

I'm making bruschetta tonight for the first time. I will let you know tomorrow how it turns out. It'll serve as an appetizer before we move on to fresh green beans and Ben's leftover chicken breast. There's nothing better than fresh green beans, so even if the bruschetta is a huge failure, we won't go hungry.

I'm a little worried, though. I don't have fresh basil. The recipe specifically calls for it fresh. I went to Cub Foods but could only find basil in the spices section, and that doesn't seem fresh to me. Without planting my own spices, I wonder where a person can find it. Or is McCormick's basil considered fresh?

2 comments:

Anna W. said...

I am commissioning Nugget to help!

Neenuh said...

Brady: You should not have to go far to find fresh basil (and yes-- it's way, way different than dry). I always shopped at Rainbow, and the fresh herbs are located near the bagged salads before it gets to the bulk section. I would also suggest getting a basil plant from somewhere like Home Depot so you can always get some in a pinch.

Here's another similar recipe that I swear by and is really easy to make:

1 baguette
1 log goat cheese (also called chevre)
1 Bosc pear

Preheat the oven to 350. Cut baguette into half-inch slices and smear with goat cheese. Slice the pear to fit the pieces and put one piece on each baguette slice, topping it with another schmear of cheese. Arrange on a pan and pop into the oven for 10 min or until the cheese melts. Enjoy!