After returning to work yesterday from the doctor's office, two co-workers observed that I had "taken a step backward."
They were right.
I was diagnosed with a calcaneal stress fracture -- I hurt my heel. High-impact sports like running can cause stress fractures in the foot. Not only do I have to wear the boot for six more weeks, I have to use crutches for the same duration. The doc thinks I need to accessorize, I guess. I have a CT scan on April 9 and visit the doctor for a follow-up April 13.
It's going to be a long road ahead. And as I travel it, I won't be running. I'll be biking or swimming. Once I'm out of the boot, I'm looking at physical therapy. It'll be 10 to 14 weeks before I can start thinking about running. The good doc said it takes about six months to get back to normal.
What does this mean?
Well, as much as it pains me to type this, the Flying Pig Marathon in Cincinnati on May 2 is out. I can't downgrade to the half-marathon. I may not even be able to run by then. Most races don't allow deferrals -- doesn't matter if you have a good excuse -- but this one allows a limited number. I will mail my application tomorrow for a deferral. If it's accepted, I will plan to run the Flying Pig Marathon in May 2011. I also paid for the Soldier Field 10-mile on May 29 and the North Shore Half-Marathon on June 13. Will I be able to walk or run them? To be determined.
I've only had a day to absorb everything. This is the first time I've ever had to wear a boot or use crutches. And I haven't taken off more than a week or two from running, really, in a few years.
I'm trying to stay positive and remember:
--things could be worse
--doors are opening for me, literally
--I can shop while riding in a motorized cart
***Update: A Flying Pig Marathon runner posted some kind and positive words on the marathon's Facebook page regarding my situation. The words made me feel a little better, and I thought I'd share: "To make it to a marathon starting line not only requires dedication but also good luck. Hope you heal quickly and come back even stronger." I may not get to run two marathons in 2010. But with some luck, maybe in 2011.
No comments:
Post a Comment