Tomorrow, I return to the sports medicine specialist to find out whether I screwed up big time two weeks ago when I ran 12.5 miles on an already sore foot.
In a perfect world, the doctor will say that my tender foot is on the mend, and I will be running in no time. That I can stop wearing the boot. That he totally empathized with my desire to put in a long run, despite the pain. That I was being a tough girl, but that it's OK not to be tough and listen to your body when it screams at you. That even though I spent mucho Benjamins on diagnostic tests, they were worth it because they ruled out a stress fracture.
But it's not a perfect world. Here's to hoping I at least can stop wearing the boot. Even though I think I look "bad ass" (my friend's words!) hobbling around the gym while wearing it, it's bulky and heavy and takes me twice as long as usual to get from point A to point B. I love the superhero moniker, "Boot Girl", my friends have bestowed upon me, but it's time to be free of the boot.
Tomorrow is a day of reckoning.
2 comments:
Good luck! May the boot be a distant memory!
You are definitely bad-ass that you're still going to the gym with a boot on!
I got really bad shin splints while training for a half-marathon; I ran through them and ended up sidelined for two months-- but that's actually how I got into yoga. Stay positive!
Post a Comment