Sunday, February 14, 2010

Feeling down but not out

I have been pretty blessed as a runner. I've made wonderful friends who like to run. I married a man who runs -- and challenges me as a runner. The sport makes me happy and healthy. I've never had to take a break because I got burned out. In my almost six years as a runner, I've been mostly injury free.

I've had my fair share of aches and pains, sure, like any runner. But I haven't suffered an injury that's put me on the sidelines for long, with the exception of doing too much too fast when I first started running. I experienced awful knee pain a few months into running. A few weeks of rest and orthopedic inserts for my shoes solved the problem.

This week I will visit a sports medicine physician for the first time since I started running. And I'm terrified about the appointment. I fear being told I need to rest for an extended period of time. I'm training for a marathon in May, and I don't feel I can afford taking time off. Also, running is a big part of my identity, and it contributes to my mental and physical health. I hope my potential injuries are nothing serious. But I can't put them off any longer.

There are far more serious issues in the world that require your thoughts and prayers. But if you could send me positive energy on Thursday (appointment day), I'd appreciate it. I hope my ailments disappear and that I can run pain-free soon!

4 comments:

Abby B said...

Hip?

I'll be sending positive thoughts your way all week!

Emma said...

Hugs, and good luck! Hope all turns out well for you.

Lisa said...

Hope everything went well! You are certainly an inspiration running outside and this horrific weather!

Brady said...

Thank you all for the good wishes! I have a post with an injury update. It's a mixed bag.