Saturday, February 20, 2010

Sidelined: An Update

Dear friends,

I went to the sports medicine specialist Thursday for two issues: a sore hip that had plagued me since Thanksgiving and a possible foot injury stemming from running through pain last Sunday (Boys and Girls: Do not try this at home!).

The doctor diagnosed my hip problem as IT band syndrome. This is a common runner's injury -- not one that I'm worried about. People who suffer from it usually experience pain in the knee. I experience it in my hip -- and not when I run, but when I sit or move out of the sitting position. The doc thinks that a few sessions with the physical therapist will help solve the problem.

The foot is a whole different beast. I may have a stress fracture, but the doctor won't know until he reviews X-rays and an MRI scan, which is scheduled for Tuesday. Until I meet with the doctor next Thursday, I have to wear a stylish boot.



In the mean time, I will be biking (in my socks) and swimming to keep up my fitness level in preparation for the upcoming spring races. The Flying Pig Marathon is not out, said the good doctor. I also have to buy a new pair of Asics. No more wearing "entry-level" running shoes.

To add insult to injury, it's been nice here in Chicagoland for the past few days. The mid-30s is great running weather. Too bad I can't be out in my tights and running shoes to enjoy it. My hope is that I will be sooner than later.

With the exception of a few aches and pains along the way, I've been mostly injury-free running for the past six years. I guess I was "due." That said, there are ways to prevent injuries. For readers who are just getting into running (I know who you are!), take the time to read this article on injury prevention by Amby Burfoot from Runner's World. I'm reading it, too.

Your running pal,
Brady

3 comments:

Kara said...

when you are ready to wear normal shoes again we are going to go shoe shopping together and get you a brand new and shiny pair of HIGH mileage sneakers. Plus I need to check out the new models of my shoe. intersted?

Abby B said...

Sad day!! Get better soon!

P.S. I went to breakfast with your grandma yesterday, but I was not fortunate enough to get to sit with her :(

Abby B said...

That sounded weird. I went to breakfast with a whole bunch of the family and her and did not get to sit with her. There, that's better.