Monday, February 1, 2010

Warning: Things are about to get serious up in here.

I have wanted to write about this for weeks. Now, I'm able to...

Registration opened today for the Bank of America Chicago Marathon. Tonight I signed up for it -- and I will be joining the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation team on race day (Oct. 10).

For the first time, I will be running a marathon for a purpose much higher than myself.

Some of you know the story, but I will share it again anyway. Nearly 15 years ago, my dad died, at 46, of Multiple Myeloma. My sister was 10; I was 11. Our dad never got to see us in action on the basketball court, wave to us from the stands at our high school graduation, or walk us down the aisle when we got married. He'll never get to hold his grandchildren or grow old with our mother.

Multiple Myeloma is an incurable blood cancer. There are an estimated 15,890 new cases diagnosed each year. The five-year survival rate remains 32 percent. My dad made it a year and a half after his diagnosis.

I will run the Chicago Marathon for my dad. For the time he didn't get to have. For his sisters and in-laws and nieces and nephews and friends who miss him. For the thousands of children who have lost a mom or dad because of Multiple Myeloma. For those who have suffered and survived. For those who won't. For greater awareness...for going to the doctor and not ignoring pain.

I hope you will join me on this journey -- whether it's contributing $5 to the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation, encouraging me on race day, or simply sending a positive note once in a while. Most of all, I hope you will be more aware of your body and get an annual physical. I hope you will encourage your family and friends to do the same.

I plan to document my involvement with the MMRF and training for the Chicago Marathon here. More details to come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Dad will be looking down and cheering you on! What a neat thing for you to be doing!! Love, A.V.

Abby B said...

If there were a like button on this thing, I would click it. :)