
Having purchased my first wok a week ago, I'm finding myself searching for great stir-fry recipes. On Wednesday, however, Martha Stewart and her segment on Asian cooking found me. After watching she and her guest make ginger-honey chicken, I decided to do the same.
Last night, armed with ginger and rice vinegar (new purchases for me), I set out to make ginger-honey chicken.
The recipe was very straightforward, but required some prep time. Chopping vegetables and chicken and mixing sauces might take a normal person 10-15 minutes. It takes me closer to 30 minutes. I'm slow, and I like to clean as I go.
I followed the recipe exactly, with the exception of adding cilantro at the end, because Ben dislikes it. (Note: We spent four months living in Thailand and cilantro plays a big role in Thai cooking, yet he's not a fan.)
The chicken turned out beautifully, but it didn't have much zing. More and more as I follow new and exciting recipes, I'm discovering that they lack flavor. OK, I should re-phrase that. The meals lack flavor when I cook them, even when closely following recipes.
Am I at fault? Or does the recipe in the first place not pack flavor?
Expert cooks out there, you tell me.
Stir-fried honey-ginger chicken
Ingredients
--1/4 cup honey
--2 tablespoons rice vinegar
--2 tablespoons soy sauce
--2 tablespoons vegetable oil
--1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, sliced into 1/4-inch strips
--1/4 cup minced peeled fresh ginger
--2 garlic cloves, minced
--3 red, orange, or yellow bell peppers (ribs and seeds removed), thinly sliced
--Cooked rice, for serving
--Fresh cilantro leaves, for serving
Directions
1. In a small bowl, stir together honey, vinegar, and soy sauce. Heat a large skillet or wok over high until hot. Add 1 tablespoon oil and swirl to coat skillet. Add chicken and stir until opaque but not cooked through, about 3 minutes; transfer to a plate.
2. Add 1 tablespoon oil, ginger, and garlic to skillet and stir until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add peppers and stir 2 minutes. Add soy mixture and bring to a boil. Return chicken to skillet and toss until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes. Serve over rice, topped with cilantro.
From: Everyday Food, January 2010 (as seen on Martha Stewart)
4 comments:
Recipes are mass marketed for a midwestern palate that is not tolerant of spice/heat. Try doubling the seasoning and spice quantities the next time you make it or add a few crushed chili flakes at the very end of the cooking. Making it a little bit hotter won't destroy the flavor and it'll make it more satisfying.
1) I found my wok recipes cookbook. It'll be in the mail next weekend, unless I find a post office or flat rate envelope sooner.
2) I'd suggest chopping the chicken in advance (maybe in the morning?) and setting it to marinate with about 2 TBS soy sauce, 1 TBS sesame oil, 1 TBS rice vinegar, 1 TBS minced ginger and 1-2 crushed garlic cloves. Let it sit, covered, in the fridge all day and it will imbibe the mix of flavors (really the same ones you will be cooking with).
Remember that chicken releases juice as you cook it, so it waters down whatever you have in the pan slightly.
Good luck!! Sounds yummy though. We had a cabbage stir fry last night that was AWESOME!
That sounds so good! I want to try this one. When I cook, I guess I know what taste Joe and I are looking for and I try to add the same quantities of spices that we have used in other dishes...
I'm a big taster as I cook. Well, unless it is raw meat, but you get the idea.
I'm going to try this recipe! In December we were at a family member's house for a group dinner making session and we made wonton soup and spring rolls and that was the first time I had cooked with fresh ginger and rice vinegar! Yum!
Thank you all for taking the time to comment!
Michele -- You're one smart cookie. I added some crushed chili flakes. I could add more next time.
Emma -- You are the biggest sweetheart. No rush on the cookbook. I hope it's written for mortals like me.
Abby -- Good luck! It tastes good, but jazzing it up wouldn't hurt.
Post a Comment