A friend contacted me yesterday about her plan to run a half-marathon this spring. Immediately -- and selfishly -- I thought, "Yay, another friend who runs!" Then, and most importantly, I thought about the rewards she will reap from running a half-marathon -- an accomplishment worth bragging about, lots of endorphins, a new level of confidence, a cool running shirt, and likely new friendships. And let's not ignore the physical rewards. She'll likely feel stronger and more energized, and overall, she'll be more fit as long as she follows a training plan.
She asked me for advice on training for a half-marathon. I asked her to be more specific. Among some of the questions she sent me, this one stuck out: "Going from hating myself while running to loving it?"
I thought I'd post my response here, with the caveat that I'm neither a running expert nor a coach. I've run for more than five years, and while I've learned a thing or two that I'm happy to share with those near and dear, I have a LOT of room to improve.
11 Ways Not to Hate Running
1. Find a buddy or join a club.
--This is the single most important factor in my "success" as a runner.
Without my friends LeAnn and Naomi, I'm not sure I would have completed my training for the Twin Cities Marathon in October 2008 and for the Fargo Marathon in May 2009. These dear friends logged training run after training run with me. And by training run, I mean LeAnn ran 15 miles with me when she wasn't training for a marathon. Naomi ran 20 miles with me last spring...in the snow...because she wanted to. LeAnn wore my fuel belt when it hurt my waist. And Naomi encouraged me when I wanted to pout and complain. Running buddies motivate you, hold you accountable and make running pleasant by distracting you with conversation.
2. Reward yourself.
--Running a 20-miler in the snow sucks. But knowing the best ginger pear scone is waiting for me at the finish line makes it worth it. For me, anyway. A reward makes every painful step worth it. Almost always.
3. Get outside.
I hate the treadmill so much that I call it the dreadmill. Find a running path along a lake or in a forest preserve and enjoy Mother Nature. And when you're running outdoors, play with the route. Running the same route daily gets boring. Changing the scenery adds excitement to any run.
4. If you can't run outside, be creative.
Even I run on the dreadmill sometimes. This will provide some solid advice on how to make treadmill running bearable. In short, you have to mix things up on the treadmill. Do hills (run at an incline). Try intervals. Run/walk.
5. Set a goal.
Without a purpose, you are more likely to opt for a bag of potato chips and a night on the couch than a five-mile run.
6. Read Runner's World for motivation.
It will inspire and educate you! I challenge you to read a RW essay and not want to run afterward.
7. Consider it your selfish time.
If you can't run with someone, think of that solo jog as your selfish time. It is your time to be alone in your thoughts, to meditate, to focus, to clear your mind.
8. Buy a new outfit or running shoes.
This sounds superficial, but it works. Most runners I know love showing off their new shorts, tank or running shoes. I know I do! Plus, looking good while running makes you feel good while running.
9. A shower has never felt so good.
Whether you just finished a 10-miler in 90-degree heat or freezing rain, a shower has never felt so good.
10. It's a darn good excuse to get a massage.
So I don't get massages, but many runners do. Running gives you an excellent excuse to pamper yourself. If you don't do massages, get a pedicure. After running a half-marathon, your toenails will need it. Trust me.
11. Start slowly.
Whether you are running for the first time or are embarking on a 12-week half-marathon training plan, baby steps are key. If you start too quickly and do too much, you risk getting injured. And there's no way you're going to like running if you're hurt.
Finally, dear readers, don't run unless your heart is in it. It has to be something you want to do. No amount of encouragement from me is going to make you like it. Running isn't for everyone. And that's OK. There are plenty of other ways to exercise.
Happy trails!
(My friend Naomi contributed to this report.)
4 comments:
Love this post! Though - as an on-again-off-again runner wannabe (currently on-again, ran last night!!), I will say that I DO enjoy running on a treadmill for a few reasons:
1 - I don't feel like such a jerk asking a REAL runner friend to go with me, since I stop and start every 2-3 mins.
2 - I can track my exact distance and time, and use them as benchmarks to push myself
3 - Being clumsy, 9 times out of 10 if I run outside, I will trip on uneven ground, acorns, holes, etc. and fall. embarrassing, painful, counterproductive.
but, a great post! :)
Thanks for the comments, Emma! You make good points... every time I run with Naomi (it happens more so with her than other runners), I tend to biff. I don't pick up my feet and I hit the sidewalk. I've come so close to scraping my face.
This is a very inspirational post, especially this time of year when I tend to slack off in the cold weather. I also find a great playlist on the iPod helps a ton when facing the 'dreadmill' - love the nickname, so true. Thanks for the tips!
Lisa, what a great tip! I can't believe I forgot to suggest listening to music! The right song can really get me moving, and I know this is true for others. I was at the gym today and realized -- while I was on the treadmill -- that my iPod was out of juice. Fortunately, I got through my short workout. I think the fact that I often run outside sans music helped.
Post a Comment