It's been more than six weeks since I got hurt running along Montrose Harbor in Chicago. At some point, the tears finally dried, and I made peace with my stress fracture.
Instead of dwelling on it, I've learned from my mistake. I'm already stronger for it. I'm sharing what I've learned with my friends and family: I'm strength training, and I'm making more of an effort to get adequate calcium and Vitamin D. I've quit the Viactiv caramel chews and traded them in for pills. The chews were nasty and reminded me of medicine. And even smothering 'em in Nutella didn't help. My sister likes Viactiv chews, so she'll be the lucky recipient of my leftovers. I also finished my eighth (but sadly probably not the last) physical therapy session yesterday.
As I've probably said this here before, I'm really making the most of getting hurt. A case in point: Last week, I went to the gym six times to bike and do some strength training. I feel strong, and I think I look it, too. If I had to run a marathon tomorrow, I think I could. Would I probably hurt my foot? You betcha. I'll have to take baby steps instead of major strides toward running again -- and only when the doctor says it's OK. But if I had to run 26.2, baby, I imagine I could do it.
Not only have I thrown myself into working out at the gym to become a stronger athlete, I'm devoting some spare time to raising awareness about multiple myeloma, the work of the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation (MMRF) and my dad. This Sunday marks 15 years since he died. I find my involvement rewarding and therapeutic -- and I wish I would have gotten involved with the MMRF years ago. Better late than never, I say.
--It's been six weeks since I went for a real run.
--It's been five weeks since I wore shoes on both feet.
--It's been four weeks since I started walking with the aid of crutches.
"Sometimes the moments that challenge us the most define us." -- U.S. Olympic Marathoner Deena Kastor
2 comments:
I'm glad that your foot is healing and hope that you are able to hit the pavement soon!
I'm in love with Viactiv Chews... I put some in a baggie and brought them to work so that I could have one with lunch every day and then I have the rest at home so I can have one with dinner. In fact, I already ran out! I wish I could eat more than two a day!!
Joe bought the caramel on accident so I will be stopping by the store to grab some of the chocolate. I'm curious to see the difference since I liked the caramel and you said the chocolate was way better.
Sounds like you have a very positive plan to handle adversity :-) Really testing your patience, I'm sure. Have you tried yoga at all?
Post a Comment