Saturday, April 3, 2010

I have something in common with an elite runner.

Meb Keflezighi, winner of the 2009 ING New York City Marathon, and I have something in common, besides our passion for running, that is. We share common running injuries.

Like Meb, I've been recovering from a stress fracture in my heel that was officially diagnosed Feb. 25, but likely occurred during my last long run on Feb. 14. Also like Meb, I've been battling pain in my tensor fascia latae (while sitting and after running), a hip muscle, and IT Band syndrome.

His resume inculdes a silver medal at the 2004 Olympics in Athens; mine shows I've finished three marathons. Yet I can relate to Meb and his battle with injuries. And the man inspires me.

I was reading Runner's World today while biking at the gym, and the May issue featured a story on Meb. After winning the silver in 2004, he was considered the favorite to make the team for the 2008 Olympics. But in 2007 at the Olympic marathon trial in New York City, he floundered. For days afterward, he couldn't even walk, according to the article. Turned out, he had a stress fracture in his hip.

Meb's injury stumped him and doctors for a long time, and his road to recovery was long and hard. Two years after an injury that forced him to consider retirement, the 34-year-old went on to with the ING New York City Marathon, according to the article. And later this month, he aims to win the Boston Marathon.

His injury taught him to listen to his body. And he worked hard to become stronger by stretching, strengthening and going to physical therapy, according to the article.

My journey of healing has been shorter than Meb's, and the stakes are much lower. But, like Meb, I will continue working hard to build a stronger core, hip and butt area, so I will be a stronger runner who's less prone to injury. And as I've written here before, I'll continue taking Calcium and Vitamin D supplements. I may not win any races any time soon or break any records, but I hope I can mimic Meb's positive spirit and perseverance.

No comments: