Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Born to Run

I'm starting to read "Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen" by Christopher McDougall. It's timely that I'm reading this book because I am running again! Yippee!

I had a follow-up visit with my doctor (note to self: send this man a "thank you" card) Thursday, and he gave me the green light to start running, albeit, slowly. I wasted no time. With wobbly nervous legs, I walked straight to my gym after work that day and onto the treadmill (I changed into running clothes first, of course), and I ran two miles. Before I got injured, I rarely ran anything shorter than three miles. So, back on the treadmill to run for the first time in 10 weeks, I wanted to run and run and run. Pre-injury Brady would have kept on runnin'. Post-injury Brady is smart and knows she'll break her heel again if she doesn't take her return to running seriously.

I ran Sunday and Monday, but I took today off -- from running, that is. I still biked for an hour. During this transition to running and even afterward, I plan on biking. Biking while injured (BWI) helped me get to where I am today -- a state where I might even be more fit than I was prior to my injury. I thought I might feel out of breath or my legs might feel heavy when I went for my first run. But I felt great. Granted, it was only two miles. But I think I can thank BWI for staying in shape and sane.

More running-related posts to follow. Yay!

1 comment:

Voix said...

I'll bet that felt awesome. Good for you!