Thursday, May 6, 2010

Getting back on the horse, or something like that

It was two weeks ago when my doctor gave me the okay to run. That night, I went for a two-miler on the treadmill. Mentally, I felt great. My toes? Not so much.

But slowly, ever so slowly, my body has started to feel normal while running. Heck, it feels better than normal. It feels kick ass. And I think I know why:

During my transition back to running, I've been using this wonder drug from my doctor. It's called common sense. I'm easing into running slowly. At the first sign of real discomfort, I stop running or take a few days off. This has meant that this week will be the first that I hit 12 miles. My doctor said I could start running between 12 and 15 miles a week and could increase my weekly mileage by 10 percent. I'm only now hitting 12 miles because I reined myself in during that first week. I guarantee you pre-injury Brady wouldn't have done that.

I value and respect every mile I get to run, whether it's on the dreadmill or along the lake front. And my body is responding with gratitude. It feels mighty strong.

On a related note, my sister and I have now raised $1,345 for the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation. We are so close to our goal. Tomorrow I'm putting a letter in the mail to ask my dad's longtime employer for a corporate sponsorship. And I'm contemplating having T-shirts (technical T's perhaps) made in order to raise money.

No comments: