My husband Ben and I were in St. Louis this weekend for a wedding, and the one activity I cared about -- other than going to the wedding -- was going for a run. Ben and I have done a decent amount of traveling over our years together (I started dating him when I was 15!), but we rarely run on our trips. Running is one of the best ways to explore a new city. So, from now on, I'm going to make every effort to run when I travel.
As we stepped outside of our hotel Saturday morning, a group of at least a dozen runners filed past us on the road. Ben suggested we join them, and -- think group running scene from "Forrest Gump" -- we did. Between the heat and my injury recovery, I didn't think we'd be able to hang with the group. We quickly caught up, and they noticed. Instead of telling us to buzz off, they asked us where we're from and wanted to know if we had water because of the heat. We hung with the group for a only a little over a mile. But during those steps, we learned about the group and they learned about us. They call themselves a happy family, and they get together for long runs consisting of 12 to 16 miles. We talked about St. Louis, marathons we're training for and our backgrounds. Yes, this all transpired in a mile.
We continued running with them to the Arch, where the group made sure we hydrated. Then, we parted ways. We ran around the park, and they resumed their 14-mile run.
No comments:
Post a Comment