For the first time in nearly 12 years, I own a bike.While I'm first a runner, I want to incorporate biking into my repertoire of athletic pursuits. I don't necessarily plan to race in any triathlons any time soon, but I'd like the option if I so choose. And as I train for the Chicago Marathon this summer, cross-training will be a major component of my training program. Whereas I used to only run, I'm going to bike and strength train two days a week.
And it should be interesting.
I'm the kind of bicyclist who on my honeymoon in Hawaii had to ride with the guide at the front of the group because I biked too slowly, and our group could go only as fast as the slowest rider.
Even last night, as we biked 3/4 mile to Lake Michigan and then back home, my knees shook out of nervousness. I was sharing the road with cars. Scary stuff. I grew up in a town of 2,500, so I'm not used to sharing the road with cars. On the rare occasion that I met a car, it was moving slowly. Since I was a kid, I could bike on the sidewalk without getting hassled by the two cops that worked in town.
During the ride on my new wheels with my husband, Ben, he passed along the following tips:
1. Do not bike in the middle of the lane.
2. Do not take busy streets without a chaperone, er, I mean Ben.
3. Be aggressive. B-E aggressive.
We don't even need to address the helmet issue. I got a deal that included one, and I would have bought one had it not. My life is too important for me to not wear a helmet.
Look out, Lance. Brady's comin' for ya!
On a side note, my mom (Becky) and aunt (Lori) raised nearly $200 at a staff meeting today for the Multiple Myeloma Resarch Foundation on my sister's and my behalf. This money, combined with some cash my mom received from friends, will put us at approximately $1,550 raised since Februrary. Now, that's pretty awesome.
5 comments:
Now this is exciting! Good for you! I also suggest you bike along the lake path (during non-peak hours) to get a feel for a little more congestion without the threat of cars. If you ever want to meet up for a ride, I'm game!
bike pics please!
Yay! I love my bike! I wish I rode it more...
Too bad you don't live here anymore because I would totally rock the bike paths with you!
Now that I'm moving outside of the city, I can't wait to get a bike and change things up a bit! Curious to know what bike you went with... I have no idea where to start!
Anna -- Soon!
Kristen -- I'm game!
Abby -- If I move back, plan on ridin' together.
Lisa -- I got a Trek hybrid bike. I'm not skilled enough for a road bike. Oh, and I got a GIANT lock and a helmet.
Post a Comment