Sunday, June 13, 2010

"I don't talk while running." -- my sister, Brooke


I received an e-mail this week with the subject line: May 25. My cousin wanted to remind me that May 25 was the date of my last post.

Oopsie.

I can explain my absence. I was in Minnesota from June 2-6, and I spent June 8-12 touring ballparks with Ben. But, sigh, here I am, back on my couch, with a few minutes to blog.

During my trip to Minnesota, I was finally able to run with my sister. I hadn't run with her since she signed up for the Chicago Marathon, and even though we're separated by about an eight-hour drive, it's important to me that we train "together."

When I woke up Thursday (June 3), I immediately dressed in my running clothes even though my sister Brooke had to work (she's not a morning runner...yet) because I was intent on running. I knew if I didn't push for a run, it wouldn't happen. Brooke was less enthusiastic about running, but I convinced her to go with me before dinner. Before leaving, she grabbed her iPod and told me, "I don't talk while running." Her husband turned to me and said straight-faced, "She doesn't like to talk when she runs."

How am I going to get through 26.2 miles running with my sister in silence? Nuh uh. No thanks. There will be talking. Not a lot, but there will be some conversation. Growing up, I was the one who talked and she listened. So I totally get how she likes her silence. But...words will be exchanged on Oct. 10. And she'll like it.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I can totally relate to your sister's comments - I don't talk when I run either and I feel like I have to preface every partnered run with this!