Today is Father's Day, and I spent most of the time on the road, behind the wheel. I feel most connected to my dad when I'm driving alone. He was a Justin Boots sales representative, so he spent several weeks out of the year on the road visiting stores. Maybe that's why, of all places, I feel the closest to him on a long stretch of asphalt.
Returning from Omaha, Neb., where I visited Ben for the weekend, I considered what my dad would think about my sister and I running the Chicago Marathon, spreading awareness about multiple myleoma and raising money to support important research.
Although 15 years have passed since he died, I still get upset -- more so now than ever -- that more couldn't have been done to save his life. That's why Brooke and I are running for the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation. This is an organization that is having an impact and the research it's funded has already resulted in new treatments for myleoma patients.
I know my dad would be proud. I know he'd be happy that Brooke and I are doing our part to prevent other families from being hurt by such a horrible disease. I believe our decision to run the marathon for the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation is the best Father's Day gift we could ever give him.
2 comments:
All dads are proud of you and Brooke.
Brady, I know your dad is so proud of you and your sister. Heck, I'm insanely proud of you and I'm just a friendly bystander. :)
Wish I could have been with you yesterday to give you a big hug. And a cupcake.
Post a Comment