Dear Friends and Family,
I hope this finds you happy and healthy.
In February, I joined the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation’s Chicago Marathon team. It is my hope to update you periodically about fund-raising efforts, multiple myeloma research and training for the big day.
Your support has been tremendous. The race is still many months away (Oct. 10!), but I can’t wait to toe the starting line!
Fund-raising
Fund-raising has been successful. I am grateful for each and every donation. To date, I have raised $595. I hope to shatter my minimum goal of $1,000.
Thank you to everyone who has donated. Your contribution and what it means for multiple myeloma research brings tears to my eyes each time I receive a donation. Every dollar counts. Ninety-three percent of all money raised goes toward research—not toward the marathon program, or operations of the foundation.
Multiple Myeloma Research
In that spirit, I would like to share an article that recently appeared in Parade magazine. The writer interviewed Kathy Giusti, co-founder of the MMRF and warrior against the disease. She was diagnosed with multiple myeloma in 1996 and later founded the MMRF with her twin sister.
My dad died in 1995, a time when there were few treatments for multiple myeloma. Since the formation of the MMRF in 1998, several treatments have come along. There is still no cure. But these drugs offer—for some—a longer life.
I hope you have time to read the article. It is short but information-packed. Giusti offers insight into the disease, her battle with it and what the foundation does.
Training
I typically spend 16-18 weeks training for a marathon. This means that training for the Chicago Marathon won’t technically start until mid-June.
When I signed up for the Chicago Marathon, I had recently started training for the Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon (May 2). While preparing for it, I suffered a stress fracture in my heel around Valentine’s Day. I’m already on the road to recovery. I’ve been wearing an air boot for two weeks, using crutches for one. I face at least five more weeks using both.
Some might consider this a major setback. Of course, the Flying Pig Marathon is out. Getting injured is frustrating to be sure. This is my first serious injury in six years of running, and I consider it a wake-up call.
Best,
Brady
No comments:
Post a Comment