Monday, March 22, 2010

Blessings in multitude

My sister and I feel blessed. Today, thanks to the power of Twitter, we received a donation to our charity, the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation (MMRF), from a runner in Texas. He's a follower on Twitter and runs for charity. Beyond that, we have no connection to him.

During the past few weeks, I have witnessed how good people can be. My decision to run for the MMRF and my injury have afforded me the opportunity to witness the human condition close up. I've seen a mix of the good, the bad and the ugly. But mostly, I've experienced the good. Here's a recent snapshot:

1. There's a man who works in my building with whom I've never spoke (besides saying "thank you") but always opens the door for me because of my current state.
2. Individuals at my gym have been mighty supportive, showering me with kudos for working out despite my injury.
3. My colleague sent me a text last week, offering to pick up breakfast or a morning latte for me. Indeed, he brought me coffee with a steamed skim topper.
4. Also last week, my cousin's college roommate donated to the MMRF. We haven't seen or spoken with each other in years, yet she felt compelled to contribute to a cause so important to my family and me. That's pretty cool.
5. A woman stopped midway through washing her hands today to open the bathroom door for me. OK, so that was a little awkward (I totally could have opened the door myself), but I appreciated her attentiveness and compassion.

Injury update:
--I have one more physical therapy session next Monday for my hip (IT Band Syndrome). Today's session was supposed to be my last but I had a "relapse" last week. Basically, my hip hurt every day at work. I gotta find a job where I'm moving. Sitting at a desk = intense pain!
-- I have a CT scan of the heel scheduled for Tuesday, April 6, at noon. I need all the prayers you can offer!
-- I return to the sports medicine center to meet with my doctor on Thursday, April 8. My foot has been sore lately. I hope the crappy weather and the air boot (I realized recently that the boot hasn't been very inflated -- oops!) are the culprit. Again, prayers please!

2 comments:

Voix said...

Prayers heading your way for a speedy recovery! Hang in there.

Brady said...

Thank you Michele! Hope all is well!