'Tis the season for crockpot recipes.
My repertoire of recipes is small, but I have a few goodies that I am proud to share with followers, friends and relatives.
Today I'm making hearty potato soup in the crock pot. It's vegetarian, but my red meat-raised hubby is a huge fan. This is good because I have vegetarian friends and am always perplexed over what to cook for them when they visit. I made hearty potato soup last January when my vegetarian friend Britt visited. And if I accurately recall, she loved it. And Ben often asks me to make it.
So without further ado, here's the recipe for hearty (and healthy) potato soup, courtesy of Cooking Light.
Ingredients:
4 cups cubed peeled baking potato
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup thinly sliced celery
3/4 cup thinly sliced carrot
3 tbs butter, cut into small pieces
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 (14 oz.) can vegetable broth
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups 2 percent reduced-fat milk
7 tbs shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Directions:
1. Place first 9 ingredients in a 4 1/2-quart electric slow cooker; stir well. Cover and cook on low 6 to 7 hours or until vegetables are tender. Increase heat to high.
2. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, level with a knife. Place flour in a bowl; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Stir into soup. Cook uncovered for 25 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Ladle soup into individual bowls and sprinkle with cheese and additional pepper, if desired. Yield: 7 servings (serving size: 1 cup soup and 1 tbs cheese).
3 comments:
Ahh!! You just read my mind! I just posted about my next new adventure in cooking and it involved the crock pot!! I'M STARVING!!! This sounds too good!
I miss cheese. This sounds so good!
Michele, I highly recommend this recipe! And all you need is a sprinkle of cheese. :)
Post a Comment