Friday, October 30, 2009

One recipe you shouldn't try.

For the second time in the past year, I made creamy peanut noodles.

I cooked it with my friend Naomi, who was staying over night with me because we had a 20-mile training run the following day. It made for decent carb-loading fare. Nothing I'd want to eat on a weekly or even monthly basis.

I made it again last night because it's so simple and healthy. But I ended up emptying the bowl in the garbage. And even Ben said he didn't need a second helping.

I'm sharing this recipe, but I suggest you skip it.

3 comments:

Emma said...

Brady - sounds disappointing!

I'll share my recipe with you:

1 package noodles - any non-rice Asian-ish noodle will do (but you can use thick spaghetti or linguine in a pinch) -- cook according to directions on package, toss with 1 tsp olive oil to avoid sticking, keep warm

For peanut butter sauce:
1 slightly larger than golf-ball sized scoop of peanut butter (I use crunchy for more texture)
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1/4-1/2 tsp red chili flakes (to your heat liking)
1/2 tsp powdered ginger (or if using raw - an equal amount to the fresh garlic)
2-4 TBS soy sauce
1 TBS rice vinegar (or 1 TBS regular vinegar with heaping 1/2 tsp sugar)
1/4 c hot water (use left over from pasta water - it'll be starchy)

Blend above ingredients until completely incorporated. Should coat the back of a spoon and not be too runny. Add more peanut butter if too thin, add more soy sauce and vinegar if too thick. Taste - adjust seasoning to your liking.

Toss sauce with noodles and top with matchstick cucumbers, green onions, crushed peanuts. Shredded chicken goes well too.

Let me know if you try them!

Emma said...

** Sorry, olive oil should be SESAME oil

Abby B said...

Sad. That sounded really good. I'll have to try the above recipe though!