Sunday, December 2, 2007

A cookie misadventure

You would think three people with college degrees could bake chocolate chip cookies. But you would be wrong.

Ben, my friend, Karen, and I tried to bake two batches of chocolate chip cookies last night. The end result were flat cookies that had the taste and texture of cake. Ben and I achieved similar results last month when we backed cookies, but they were fluffy instead of flat.

We followed the recipe exactly, so we assume the culprit is the fat-free butter. Perhaps wise readers out there who have baked many a chocolate chip cookie can weigh in.

1 comment:

Shruti said...

Hey Brady:
I'm home sick today and doing a LOT of back reading and came upon your blog! I had the same experience with a batch of chocolate chip cookies. I figured out my culprit: old baking powder/soda (I can't remember which one it was).

That's the stuff that causes rising, so I'm pretty sure that's what it was for me--especially since my boyfriend made a batch next week with all the same ingredients--but his own baking powder/soda.