Sunday, November 25, 2007

Thansgiving went...

Well.

I had hoped Thanksgiving would have given me fodder for a knee-slapping post. But our first time as hosts turned out well.

The turkey didn't explode. Our butts didn't hover over the toilet because something else was, er, exploding.

We've been given too much credit, though, for hosting as if we did all of the work ourselves. That's not how it works, of course. We cleaned. We bought a bird. We found napkins that complimented our festive paper plates (we don't have a dishwasher).

But Ben's brother-in-law oversaw him remove all of the gobbledygook from the turkey on the eve of Thanksgiving. And his brother put the bird in the oven Thursday morning while we were running in the 6-mile Drumstick Dash. And his mom and sister had their hands in almost every other dish -- the homemade pumpkin pie and spiced pumpkin cheesecake, the stuffing, the corn. Shall I go on?

So Thanksgiving went off without a hitch. But it wouldn't have had it not been for our family and friends, who gave us plenty of advice along the way.

1 comment:

Abby Martinek said...

Do you know what their recipe was for the spiced pumpkin cheesecake?

I made pumpkin cheesecake for our Thanksgiving from a recipe that my mom insisted I use and I didn't like it.

Did you like this one?

She got the recipe from a Lunds/Byerly's magazine. There was an awful lot of flour in it and the recipe didn't make enough crust, so I had to make another half a batch.

Overall, I was unimpressed by the recipe and I felt that people were just humoring me by saying they liked it as well.

Don't get me wrong, it was okay. It was just lacking something.