Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Trading spaces

I've never considered myself a quitter until I became one yesterday when I quit my job.

I had my reasons, mind you. Good ones. And while it wasn't the hardest thing I've ever done, it was far from easy. My stomach was in a giant knot until I broke the news.

I'm not happy about leaving after a short tenure, but I'm taking advantage of an opportunity to cover a cool beat and work with talented staff. What's more, I can carpool with my hubby to work.

The only other time that I can recall really being a loser and quitting was when I traded in my "sandwich artist" polo at Subway (after one month) for a Micky Mouse tie to work at Hy-Vee. For some reason, I hated the monotony of making sandwiches more than I disliked bagging groceries. And this was, of course, when I was still months shy of 17.

2 comments:

Abby Martinek said...

Where were you working before?

Congrats on the new job!

Anonymous said...

I know that "giant knot" feeling well from a similar experience from an old employer. I had been there 5 months and felt like I was letting someone down.

But they have survived, I got a better opportunity, and my life improved for it. I now look back at that tough decision as just one along the path, but you always have the comfort knowing it was the right decision. Congrats again!