Saturday, October 20, 2007

Three Fish, dark cookie sheets, a pumpkin danish and so much more

My dream job de jour is to be a food critic. How fabulous would it be to spend my time hunting the best restaurants in town, trying new foods and writing about it. Awesome? I think so, too.

Meow
My weekend began with my first ever visit to the Kitty Cat Klub in Dinkytown. It has the feeling of a lounge and coffee shop rolled into one. It's got the atmosphere and comfort of the coolest coffee shop ever, only it serves booze and has the decor of a NYC lounge. The service was pretty good -- our tables were cleared often.

Food diary
Then last night my cousin Stef and I baked snickerdoodle cookies for the first time. I love, love, love snickerdoodles, so when I saw the recipe in my local Lutheran church's cookbook (and the recipe was my dental hygienist's), I had to make them. About half taste perfect. The other half has burnt bottoms. Stef and I disagreed about whether the cookies were done and so we left them in the oven for two extra minutes. When I discussed this experience with my mom, she asked me what kind of baking sheets I used. When I told her black, she told me therein lie my problem. Dark pans heat faster. I will likely use the pans again, but I won't make the mistake of baking them too long. In fact, I may try another batch this weekend.

After our baking fest, we went to Three Fish, 3070 Excelsior Blvd., Minneapolis. It's located in a strip mall, but it's near Lake Calhoun, so it's not your typical strip mall. I had the haddock, she had the grilled salmon. We both had garlic mashed potatoes. It came with this delicious basil butter. So different and to die for. The food was so good that we didn't leave a scrap on our plates -- partly because our entrees each cost $18.95 and we were willing to feel like crap from stuffing ourselves for the sake of the good food. We were in and out in less than 40 minutes. The place wasn't filled, and our fish arrived about 10 minutes after we ordered. The weird part of the evening was the fact that we were, by 20 or 30 years, the youngest demographic there. I'm guessing most of the other patrons were in their 50s and 60s.

After an early morning run with my pal Naomi this morning, we went to Cupcake. For those of you Twin Citians who have never been, allow me to take you there. It has the best darn danishes and scones in the metro area. Heck, probably the best danishes and scones in the state or at least on par with those at River Rock in St. Peter, Minn. I had the pumpkin danish today, which I'm assuming is a seasonal treat since I've never seen it before. I can vouch for it if you want to try it.

Wine musings
I'm just now starting to enjoy wine. This week, I had a glass occasionally when I got home after work. All the health articles say it's good for you, so why not? Besides, it's low in calories. My latest favorite is Casa La Joyas Reserve, Malbec. It goes down so smoothly and has a slight tart -- this is a good thing, I think -- flavor. For wine lovers and those who think they may be wine lovers, I highly recommend it. I'm going to pick up a few more bottles when I make another trip to a liquor store.

No comments: