Monday, October 22, 2007

Me No Like Tarragon

I made a disaster out of our dinner tonight, and I blame it on the tarragon. Simply put, tarragon is the worst herb I've yet to encounter.

It all started last night when I prepared an herb concoction to smother over a slow-roasting turkey. It included tarragon, sage, garlic, butter, salt and pepper. The red flag should have gone up as I minced the tarragon, and a black licorice aroma filled the air. Woofta. Black licorice and a Jenny-O turkey do not mix.

I just looked up tarragon, and its formal name is dragon's wort. Now, if I had known that I was lathering up my turkey in dragon's wort, I would have thought twice before using it. According to Wikipedia (it's OK to use this source-- this isn't an article), tarragon has an "aromatic property reminiscent of anise," which contains licorice-like components. Licorice-like components? Yuck.

Next time I use a recipe full of different herbs, I'm going to do my homework. And for the time being, I'm banning all recipes that include tarragon, unless it only requires a minuscule amount.

No comments: