I believe we should pray more for others, less for ourselves. Yet, every night before a long run, I find myself praying for yours truly. Rather, I pray for my foot. I chat with God and ask that he helps see me through the Chicago Marathon on 10.10.10 free of injuries. It's a selfish request, but, I'm afraid it's come down to that. I blame the stress fracture.
When I got the OK in late April from my doctor to resume running, I was pretty confident about returning to the sport. I felt I had become a stronger runner after months on the stationary bike. But, as I run more, my confidence lessens. I recall spending what seemed like an hour the night before an 18-mile training run last month praying I wouldn't get hurt.
If I were running the Chicago Marathon only for myself, I could swallow re-injury. But this race isn't just about me. It's about my dad, who died at 46 because of multiple myeloma, a rare blood cancer. It's about my sister, Brooke, who will be running her first -- and maybe only -- marathon. It's about the dozen friends and family who've decided to travel to Chicago to support us on 10.10.10. It's about the friends, family and strangers who've donated their hard-earned money to the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation.
I have quietly pledged that I will slow down -- at least a little bit -- after the Chicago and Philadelphia marathons. I still plan on registering for the Flying Pig Marathon, which will take place in Cincinnati in May. This is the race I couldn't run this year because of the stress fracture. I have a deferral certificate, and I will use it.
But, training for the Flying Pig Marathon can wait until winter. In the weeks and months following the Philadelphia Marathon, I will focus on cross-training. I will prepare for my first triathlon. I flunked out of swimming lessons at an early age, so preparing for even a sprint triathlon (750m swim, 20km bike, 5km run) will take some time and likely some coaching. I've read about and heard from people who participated in triathlons only to discover they became better runners -- and experienced fewer injuries.
Hopefully, at this time next year, I'll be praying for stuff far more important than my dumb foot.
Clarification: I want to explain what I mean by slow down. I'm not disappearing from endurance running. I love running marathons, and I plan to travel the world participating in them. While I hope to continue running marathons, and hopefully qualify for the Boston Marathon in the near future, I do plan to run fewer days a week after the Philadelphia Marathon. I've been known after a marathon to resume normal running after only a few days' rest. When I signed up for the Philadelphia Marathon, I promised Ben and my friend Kara that I would alter my ways. But, come late winter, I will slowly ramp up running. I want to be ready for the Flying Pig Marathon in early May.

5 comments:
Praying that you'll get better & accomplish your goals, ALL of them!! You & your sister are inspirations! Now only if I could get my sisters on board! :)
Praying for you as well.
Injuries are difficult to handle and sometimes prayer is all you can do! --So great that you and your sis are running Chicago! Can't wait to hear about it!
Booooy do I hear you. I'm doing the same thing for my feet and my IT band. And I'm not even fundraising this time. But I hope to have a running career after this race is over!
Just keep doing what you're doing. He knows your heart ;)
Thank you all for the awesome, supportive comments!
Sending you prayers too :) You can do anything you put your mind too (even running less after the Philly marathon)...
Post a Comment