Thursday, August 19, 2010

August Update: Kicking Cancer's Butt...One Mile at a Time

Left: Brooke, Right: Brady
Hello everybody!

About six months ago, Brooke and I signed up to run the Chicago Marathon on behalf of the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation (MMRF). I don’t think either one of us predicted how the decision would transform us.

Brooke is running again. She hates running. After running a half-marathon five years ago on a bad knee, she had practically said goodbye to the sport. She still might not love it. But she’s out there, trying to put in the miles.

My involvement with the MMRF has ignited a fire I haven’t felt in a long time. As a result, I want to play a greater role in the non-profit sector. I’m volunteering more. I’m an active member of a committee planning a half-marathon in Evanston that will promote wellness in every ward of the city and connect runners – young and old. I have also agreed to help organize training runs for members of the MMRF Chicago Marathon charity team who live in the Chicago area. And barring any unforeseen problems, I will audit a class on the mission-driven enterprise this fall at the Kellogg School of Management. My hope is that participating in this class will equip me with the knowledge to be a better, more effective volunteer or employee.

Fund-raising:
The Chicago Marathon is only 53 52 days away! So far we have raised nearly $3,500 $3,600. We are grateful for the friends, family and even strangers who have contributed! We hope to ultimately raise $4,000. If 20 people donate $25, we will achieve our goal.

If you are planning to donate, remember that every dollar matters. Whether you can contribute $5 or $50, it all helps! Ninety-three percent of your contribution goes directly toward the development of treatment for multiple myeloma. If you can’t contribute financially, you can still support us in other ways! Help us spread the word about our cause and the MMRF. Urge loved ones to get annual physicals. Send an encouraging note the week of the marathon.

Training:
From left: Brady, Gene, Becky, Brooke
During the next few weeks, Brooke and I will experience the most intense part of training. When we began preparing for the marathon in June, we were running an average 20 miles a week. Now, single runs consist of 16, 18 and 20 miles.

To assist Brooke with training, her husband Tony bought a bike so he could accompany her on long runs. He typically runs three miles with her before transitioning to the bike. His support doesn’t stop there. To entice her to follow her training plan, he pledged to give her $1 for every mile she runs between now and the marathon on 10-10-10.

This isn’t the first time I’ve trained for a marathon, but it is the first time while training for a marathon that I’ve looked forward to every run and done it—mostly—without complaint. It doesn’t hurt that I live in a city where the running culture is strong. I’m also surrounded by an amazing group of young women who run and love the sport as much as I do.

The power of purpose helps, too. On every run, I carry the memory of my dad and the knowledge that I’m running for a cause bigger than just myself. Our dad never laced up a pair of shoes to go running. But I sense, especially on the tough, long runs, that he’s taking every stride with me. Whether Brooke senses it, I know he’s taking every step with her, too.

Housekeeping:
Between now and the marathon, we will send out a monthly update in September and an update one week before the race. We also plan to share a race recap and photos after the marathon. If you are interested in receiving the next updates and race recap by e-mail, contact me at brady.jean@gmail.com.

All our best,

Brady and Brooke

Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment. -- Jim Rohn

No comments: