When my sister Brooke and I signed up to run the Chicago Marathon for the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation (MMRF) in our dad’s memory, our fund-raising expectations were low. Having never previously raised money for a cause, we didn’t know who of our family and friends would donate. We also believed the tough economy might prevent people from being able to contribute financially.
We were proved wrong. Friends and family stepped up to the plate, and donations flowed in, especially during the first several weeks of fund-raising. It was an exciting time, and my eyes often welled up with tears every time I received an e-mail alerting me a donation had been made. They still do.
Initially, we each planned on raising $1,000, or $2,000 combined. In June, we surpassed the $2,000 mark. As a result, we adjusted our goal to $3,000. In July, we surpassed that, too. Again we revised our goal to $4,000, not out of some competition to raise more and more money. We just want to help. Since its founding in 1998, we know the MMRF has made great strides in funding research for new multiple myeloma treatments and has been an invaluable resource for patients and their families. We wish it had been in the ring with our dad when he was fighting such an awful disease.
It’s in that spirit that Brooke and I contacted Justin Boots, our dad’s long-time employer. He worked there as a salesman until his death in 1995. I spent time on the road with him as a little girl, so I got to see firsthand his dedication to and love for the company.
In May, I mailed our first letter to the company, as directed on its website. I shared our story about why we were running the Chicago Marathon and asked for Justin Boots to donate $1,000. In return, the company’s logo would appear on our charity running and support team shirts. Additional publicity opportunities were offered, as well. I asked for a response by mid June. Weeks went by, and I heard nothing from the company. I enlisted the help of my dad’s close friends, who still had connections at Justin Boots. They e-mailed their friends and received favorable responses.
About a week and a half before the deadline, I still had not been contacted by anyone at the company. So, while I was in Minnesota, my sister and I put together an amateur photo shoot. As our mom photographed us, we ran in our dad’s cowboy boots, shorts and MMRF jerseys. I sent a photo collage and a hand-written letter requesting $500. I also posted the photos on Twitter to get the Justin Boots’ attention. As a result, I received a message that the company would be in touch.
Then, radio silence.
A week ago, I sent a new proposal to the company. And yesterday, I contacted the Balcom Agency, a Texas-based advertising, marketing and public relations firm that, according to its website, has Justin Boots as a client. I briefly stated why Brooke and I were running the Chicago Marathon, asked for a donation/sponsorship and requested to speak with the account representative for Justin Boots. Within hours, I received this response:
Dear Brady -
As a Berkshire Hathaway owned company, Justin Brands has certain limitations and this request falls outside the defined parameters Justin Brands has in place for their corporate giving.
Sincerely -
(name removed)
My mom warned me not to be disappointed if Justin Boots chose not to make a donation. She thought too much time had passed since our dad died, and a donation might not be a priority for the company.
I wasn't surprised by the rejection. I was, however, disappointed in the manner it was conveyed.
Indeed, Brooke and I hoped for a donation. But more importantly, we wanted the company to help us honor or dad.
2 comments:
Still... it would have been nice if they wished you all luck, or had given you guidance about what those parameters are!
Stay strong. You're still doing an amazing thing for your dad's memory and others who might be affected by the disease as well.
Sorry to hear that Justin Boots didn't donate something to your cause. Berkshire Hathaway is kinda weird with their corporate giving. It's been well known that Warren Buffet wants to give away his money (and BRK's money) but he doesn't want to side with one charity or the other. What he ended up doing was giving all his wealth to the Bill and Milinda Gates Foundation.
However, I've seen companies under BRK donate to various charities. I'm surprised Justin Boots hid behind its parent company to say no to you especially since your dad was a salesperson for them. It really hurts to see that all they did was send you a generic form letter.
Sadly, they're willing to work with George Strait, sponsor rodeo cowboys, and race car drivers to drive sales but they're not willing to donate money to a cause. If I'm in the market again for work boots, they won't be on the top of my list of manufacturers to buy from.
--mark--
Post a Comment