Thursday, September 23, 2010

Running for Good

Since February, I've been running for a purpose bigger than myself. That purpose is to honor my late father by helping to fight cancer.

As you read here, I'm running the Chicago Marathon for the Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation and raising money to fund critical cancer research. This research will not only bring treatment to multiple myeloma patients; it has the potential to aid and prolong the lives of other cancer patients as well.

Starting tomorrow, I will use running for another social good. I have decided to run as a volunteer with Back on My Feet, an organization born out of one woman's desire to help homeless people.


"BOMF is a nonprofit organization that promotes the self-sufficiency of homeless populations by engaging them in running as a means to build confidence, strength and self-esteem." -- Back on My Feet website

I believe running has the power to transform individuals, so I couldn't be happier about the mission of this organization.

Back on My Feet's chapters are predominantly located on the East Coast. But, the organization is expanding. The Chicago chapter launched this week. And a chapter is scheduled to launch in Minneapolis sometime in 2011. For more information about this excellent organization and to see if a chapter is coming to a city near you, click here.

In somewhat related news, I started auditing a class at the Kellogg School of Management this week. The class is about leading the mission-driven enterprise. My hope is that the skills and knowledge I will take away from this class will make me a more effective volunteer and employee.

No comments: